Pages

Wednesday

I NEED Perfume

Fragrances

I need a new perfume. I am not saying a would like a new scent, I truly need one.
I have been obsessed with fragrance from a very early age.
I remember as child trying to make my own perfume by macerating flowers and leaves I gathered. And later begging my parents to buy me "real" perfume making supplies at the pharmacy.
When they finally conceded to my demands, my world expanded exponentially. My life has never been the same: I constructed roughly blended fragrances with notes of sandalwood, patchouli and jasmine.
I made different blends and bottled them in old splash perfume bottles my grandmother had given me which I had rinsed thoroughly in perfumer's alcohol.
I then attempted to start a mini empire, as I tried to sell my creations to anyone I knew.
As I small child, it was difficult for me to find customer's with, well, money amongst kids my age. So I resorted to pushing my products to all relatives, family friend's and my father's business associates. I even demanded money from my mother!
My childhood was extremely happy. Full of vivid memories that I wouldn't change for the world. Some of my most vivid memories of childhood are olfactory, though.
I remember so clearly the smell of my "creations", the scent of sweet oranges in my father's naranjal, the smell of Neroli, and one of the scents I miss the most: the smell of fresh vegetables....

***sigh****

For some reason, produce just doesn't carry a sweet fragrance here in the States. I'm not sure why that is. I think it might be because everything is picked rather "green" and not ripe in order to be transported and shelved for a while at the grocery store.
The ripening process often occurs inside a cardboard box, or crate, or warehouse, rather than on the vine.
Anyway, I digress.
Fragrance has always been extremely important to me. Growing up, not a single day would go by that my mother wouldn't dab on a drop or two of perfume. She always had "signature scents". Something that I could smell on anyone, anywhere, even decades later and I would immediately associated with my mother's glamour.
Throughout the years I remember her wearing Molinard de Molinard, K de Krizia, Lancome's Magie Noire and Ombre Rose.
My first "real" perfumes were much less sophisticated (then again I'm talking elementary school here): L' Jardin, Tatiana, Anais Anais and Enjoli.
hmmm, such memories. I have always equated perfume with allure and sophistication. To this day I still dab on a little perfume before going to bed. And have done so everyday since I got my first bottle. I do it for me. For sweet dreams. For old times sake.
I love, no I need perfume...



No comments: